Toledo, Ohio has an impressive collection of public art, with large-scale sculptures, murals, and functional structures by noted artists from across the country. Many of these pieces were acquired through the pioneering 1977 ordinance that set aside one percent of Toledo's Capital Improvement Budget for the purchase, conservation, and public education of art.
The program is administered by The Arts Commission through its Art in Public Places Program, which acquires, conserves and restores the collection. This administration also includes the education of the community related to the understanding and enjoyment of public art.
Toledo was the first city in Ohio to adopt a One Percent for Art program. The 1977 ordinance served as a model for Ohio's Percent for Art program, administered by the Ohio Arts Council, which began in 1990.
The Art in Public Places Collection includes work from over 40 local, national and international artists. A partial list of these artists includes:
Joe Ann Cousino
Lola Garcia de La Torre Montes
|John B. Hudson
Leonard "Ernie" Moll
John B. Squire
Hans Van de Kovenkamp
Hai Ying Wu
1838 parkwood avenue | suite 120 | toledo, ohio 43604 | 419-254-ARTS (2787)
Copyright © 2012 | All Rights Reserved.